Sunday 31 October 2010

yeah well... this is kinda lame but i may as well post it


All my work is illustrative; therefore it makes sense for me to go into a pathway that would support that and inspire me to push my work further and eventually gain a career from it doing something I love.
I have tried my best to embrace the essence of each of the disciplines as I went through the rotations but I always found myself returning to narratives and communications through my work. I’ve always wanted to say things with my work, and for my a level essay I wrote about how Paula Rego uses narratives in her work to instil them with a deeper meaning and draw in the attention of the viewer and intrigue them. For this reason I was considering the fine art pathway, of course only slightly as Paula has said herself that she disapproves of fine art snobbery and believes that illustrations are some of the best artwork.
In vis-com for example for our first task (creating work based off a random word) I decided to make a narrative storybook exploring the ideas brought up by our group discussion. For the second task we were told to use found images to crate a narrative; I approached this in a slightly different way but found again that I was illustrating a short story, for the last project which was a communication I decided to make a fish and some other animals out of paper to show the fish imagining itself out of its bowl, and I’ve considered making this into an animation (I’ve finished the storyboard and hope to pick up on the project later)
The next pathway was 3d spatial, which personally I didn’t engage with at all, I’ve always prided myself on my ability to make things so that I could use them as props in paintings I made but the idea of the installation or the smaller modular designs didn’t really speak to me. I really enjoy figurative work, so inventing new and abstract things in 3d didn’t appeal to me, and I wasn’t too happy with the drawings I made there either for the same reason- not figurative.
As you might imagine this was the problem I had with fashion textiles too, I ended up making some very illustrative works for that experimenting with fragile cutouts. And while I enjoyed the way they made us draw allot because of the great drawings I got out of them and learned about making smaller sketchbooks (which is something I’ve started doing in my normal work now), I think that it will be an experience that I learn from and don’t return to, it was actually very useful to be working in a really disciplined and directed way expanding my artistic vocabulary. Still since I struggled with making anything for the body other than my sunglasses, I don’t think this are is for me.
Finally in fine art I found myself wanting to paint a portrait, because that’s what I’ve always done any why I’ve considered myself an artist instead of an illustrator for so long, then the tutor came over and said in not so many words; no portraits… I was stumped and disappointed, I kind of lost my train of thought with the project, in the end I found myself making another little storybook, this time I thought I was quite successful.
So all in all i’ve been making storybooks and illustrations this whole time whatever i’ve been doing, so why stop now? My choice: vis-com.

No comments:

Post a Comment